Sunday, April 12, 2015

Taking Care of Memories

 
Recently, we spent some time at Starved Rock, together as a family, - hiking, exploring, and making memories.
As I was going through our pictures from our trip, I had an "oh, my heart" moment when I came across this one:
my little girl
My big little girl.
When I look at this picture, I wonder where the time has gone.  I see Makayla, my first born, growing up.  She's six, going on 16.  And then I look at my others - Mason is 4, looking more and more like a boy every day, losing his oh so sweet baby features...and Mia, my baby baby, is wearing her hair in a ponytail.
Where has the time gone?
 
Since starting this blog (5 years ago), I've always stayed faithful in documenting all that I hold dear to my heart. 
What I live for...
What keeps my heart beating...
What makes me happy...
I would come here, to Sugar and Slugs, to journal the things I never want to forget.
There have been times that I've been able to call Sugar and Slugs somewhat of a "therapy" - times that it's forced me to see and feel what's truly important in this life.

But, I know, it's been awhile.
...probably the longest I've gone without blogging since I started.
*sigh*

life happened.

The only things I've blogged about this year are




my kids being lovers of life,



 my nephew having surgery,
 
 

 and my wedding dress.
 



That's it.
That's all I've managed to put into words.
But,
I simply just got busy living life...

plus, most of our "spare time" (whatever that is) is spent working in and on our new home.
when I first blogged about our new home I shared some of my favorite features, and here are two more I can add: a magnolia tree and a gas burning light post that has a non-stop glow.
 





We are at a season in life right now

where Mia wants a whole candy bar every time she goes on the big potty,
where Mason is obsessed with eating good so his muscles will grow,
and where Makayla loves to play school (and when she and mason argue about who is going to be the teacher, she tries to always talk him into being the principal instead.  he never goes for that, but then she can always convince him to be the janitor).

When Mia doesn't get her way, she'll always say "Grandma told me!" as she shrugs her shoulders or throws her hands in the air.
Makayla loves to write stories and ride her bike.
Mason is scared of the dark.

I get to put homemade birthday cards on the refrigerator that the kids make for their dad.  Makayla fills her card with X's as in X's and O's (kisses and hugs) and Mason fills his card with little muddy puddles.
 
I have conversations about poop, cities in space, and pretty shoes.
Finding Hello Kitty band aids in my laundry and baby doll bottles in my dishwasher make me smile.
 
We have fun making tents, posting glow-in-the-dark stars on our bedroom walls, and making crafts with glitter...lots of glitter.
 
...and we're at a season in life right now where we can do things and go places with NO stroller, NO diaper bag, and all be independent from one other...like hiking at Starved Rock!
  
 
Nothing I have in this world is more precious than my children.
 
And for the past few months when I've been so very quiet on Sugar and Slugs, it's not that I've given up on my blog entirely, but I've not been able to set aside the time that I used to, to keep it updated.
I will for sure always keep Sugar and Slugs going, though, (just not updated as frequently) because this is the place that helps me to take care of my memories...
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment