Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Opening Doors

Since Makayla was 2 (almost 3), she has been going to school.

Her first two years, she attended Mrs. Wright's preschool class at our church.


Last year, she attended Mrs. Sharp's PreK class at Carroll Catholic.

...and this year, she is in Mrs. Gandenberger's kindergarten class!

I am so very thankful for the previous years of school for Makayla.  I'm thankful for the teachers, I'm thankful for the education, I'm thankful for the experience, and I'm thankful for the preparation.  
She and I were both well prepared for the big first day of kindergarten.

I've discovered through the years, that Makayla is not one to tell me what she learned at school.  Every time I ask her, her answer is always "nothing".  So, it came to me as no big surprise when I picked her up from her first day of school today and she told me that she learned nothing...but I couldn't help but smile when on our way home, she was talking to Mason and Mia about a chrysalis (so i'm thinking she did learn something today because i've never used the word chrysalis in my entire life)!

I'm so excited to watch Makayla grow and bloom (even more, if that's possible) over this next year as she spends her time in the kindergarten classroom!!

**********************************

While Makayla is busy in kindergarten, Mason is busy in preschool!

Mason started his first school experience at age 3 in Miss Martin's preschool classroom at Carroll Catholic!  He loves it!!!  He loves going to school.  He loves writing his name, he loves playing at the train table, he loves recess, he loves learning!  He loves to tell me about his morning at school and wishes he could go to school every day.  I love to see the excitement on his face as we walk into the school and I love to see the excitement on his face when we pick him up.  

*******************************

And because Mason and Makayla are both in school, this means that one morning a week, there's
Mia and Mommy time.
Mia and I get a few hours one day a week where it's just us.
Me and her.
Nobody else.  
No other voices, no other demands.  

Nothing.

This morning, we washed bikes, played in the back yard, read books, played airplane, fed each other snacks, sat on the big girl potty....

She had my undivided attention.

We loved it!
We're looking forward to next time and are excited to have this as part of our routine...for now.


***************



The larger the island of knowledge, the longer the shoreline of wonder.  
~Ralph W. Sockman




Me:  Mason, what do you want to be when you grow up?
Mason: A dad.
Me:  That's cool!
Mason:  And a fireman guy.
Me:  Cool!  Makayla, what do you want to be when you grow up?
Makayla:  A babysitter.
Mason:  Well, actually, I want to be a baby when I grow up.  



No comments:

Post a Comment