Thursday, September 1, 2011

Preschool Is A Big Deal

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.~ Buddha ~

To some, it's only preschool.  But to us, it's PRESCHOOL

Preschool is a big deal. 

 There's just something that's very emotional in the simple act of walking your child to the doors of the school.  I had butterflies in my stomach as we stood outside and took pictures of "Makayla's First Day At Preschool", and I tried really hard to be filled with excitement and happiness for Makayla.   But I was so nervous, and scared, and happy, and sad, and proud...all at the same time.  I was one big ball of emotions! 

I couldn't figure out why I was so emotional.  This is a day that we looked so forward to - a day that Makayla has talked about for months - a day that I thought I prepared myself for. 

 ...But then it suddenly struck me.  Today my baby girl was moving on in the next phase of life...without me...and without anybody she knows.  She was going to be on her own.  My eyes filled with tears just a little bit and I had to swallow really hard to make sure the tears didn't drop. 

We walked into school and Makayla looked up at me and said in her tiny little voice "Hold me".  Ugghhhh...The tears filled up again and I think my chin quivered a little bit.

I carried her down the stairs, gently put her down, and quietly (but happily) told her that we need to hang her backpack on the wall.  She proudly hung it up and then we held hands.  We turned around to walk down the hall to her classroom and Makayla's eyes LIT up!  She saw her teacher and her whole body filled with energy.  She slowly slipped her hand out of mine and ran off down the hall.  With a big smile on her face, she ran to her teacher and began her first day at preschool.  She didn't look back and I didn't even get to give her a hug and kiss good-bye. 

She was the strong one as my heart broke a little bit.

I quickly peeked my head into the classroom to make sure that she was going to be okay - to make sure...to have one last look.

I turned around to look at Daddy and Mason and we all smiled at each other and headed to the car. 

Thank you for being strong, Makayla.  Thank you for running full force into preschool.  Thank you for making this transition easier on mommy.

Makayla and baby brother Mason.

At the end of the first day of school, Makayla had so much to say.  She said that she played played played, her teacher read her a book about sharks, she played house, she got a stamp, she had a strawberry candy bar and had water in a little cup, and Mia (a new friend) was nice to her.

At the end of her second day of school all she had to say was that she played house and she heard a boy puke in the kitchen. 


This change, this new beginning, has taken my breath away and was a little more overwhelming than what I expected. I look forward to the future.  I look forward to enjoying and cherishing the precious innocence of what Makayla will experience as a preschooler.

...and in three short days, my baby girl will be turning 3 - so I'm sure my big ball of emotions is going to get a little bit bigger!

1 comment:

  1. I understand completely! I think you explained it perfectly when you said its emotional because our children are starting a new phase of their lives without us. Its exciting and sad all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete