Thursday, August 11, 2011

Our Five Minute Drive

Tonight, I was going to take the 5 minute drive to the mailboxes to mail my bills as "My Time". 

It was going to be beautiful - my favorite songs on the radio, windows down, nobody talking to me and me not talking to anybody - a beautiful, much needed 5 minutes alone in the car. 

As I get in the car, Kevin calls me and said that I was busted.  Makayla caught me leaving.  I slowly asked if she wanted to go with me, and of course she did. 

What the heck - it's good for the soul and mind to take a cruise in 73 degree temperatures at night, with the windows down, wind blowing through your hair...I let her come with me. 

Our 5 minute drive turned into her talking non-stop, me turning down the radio so I didn't have to listen to her and the radio at the same time, and her asking me to 'turn' my window up because it (the wind) was 'scaring her ears'.  Although, I was looking so forward to "My Time", I still enjoyed "Our Time".  It was just me and her...mommy and Makayla...me being amazed at her conversation and curiousity...me filling with laughter at the things that came out of her mouth...

Although our drive was kind of a blur because she talked NON-STOP, this is a little clipett from our 5 minutes in the car together:


Who that neighbor? That neighbor mean? I not mean. I’m a doog girl. I not be mean. Mommy, is that neighbor mean? What’s that neighbor’s name? Honey, I don’t know the neighbors name and no, he’s not mean. I see the moon! Mommy, that where you get your medicine? (Walgreens). Yes, honey. You are so smart. The pet shop! Daddy’s work! I see the moon. There’s the moon. Lightning. There's lightning back there.  It's bright.  Oh, I see sticks. I bited the sticks. You bit the sticks? No! I bited the sticks. You bit the sticks. Movie store! Gas station! ANDY’S work! I want to go by Tylee and Tole’s house. (Kyleigh and Kole) Tylee and Tole’s house! Tole’s! (Nicole - Ace Hardware) She not work there anymore. Why she not work there anymore? Where does Tole work at? (Nicole) She works at the farm.  She not work at the farm! Animals are at the farm! Why Tole at the farm? She just helps the animals.  Silence for maybe 5 seconds. Mommy, what’s that noise?  Frogs. Sweet Caroline. Bu bu buuuuum. I want to go by Tylee and Tole’s house again. No. We’re going a different way home. Mommy, what’s that noise? The brick road.
Silence for maybe 8-10 seconds. I thought maybe she fell asleep. 
Why you never go? The light’s red.
Red, stop. Green, go. Go mom. Go. Go. Green. Go. Where’s the moon at? Where’s the moon at? I think the moon is hiding behind a cloud. Why?!  It’s trying to go to sleep. I want a yellow light. Why you never go? Mommy, why you never go. C’mon cars! Red, stop. Green, go. Mommy, there’s where you get your medicine! (Walgreens) Silence for about 5 seconds. Where’s that black car going?

We pull into the driveway. She pretends she’s sleeping. I pick her up, hold her in my arms like a baby, put her blankey up close to her face, and carry her into the house. She was very good at staying asleep and pretending to stay asleep. I hand her off to Kevin and whisper “Daddy, will you take the baby to bed”. She’s still "sleeping". He walks her through the kitchen and she says “I see fruit snacks”!

Oooh, thanks for the 5 minutes, baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment