Saturday, January 15, 2011

Please Take Your Time

One of the best things about being a parent is to watch your children progress, excel, and succeed.  Every little thing your child does is remarkable and seems, at that moment, to be the most amazing thing in the world. 
The past 28 months of my life have been filled by my children’s “firsts” and accomplishments.  The following is just a fraction of what has made us so happy and giddy, proud and amazed:
·         The first time our babies smiled when they were sleeping.  It doesn’t matter that it was within the first few hours of them being alive or that “the books” say that it was from gas.  They smiled.  That’s all that mattered.
·         The first time our babies smiled for real and knew who and what they were smiling at.
·         The first time our babies slept through the night.  Even if was just a 6 hour stretch, by golly – they were sleeping through the night!
·         When they laughed out loud for the first time!  Whatever it was that caused that big belly roll, we kept on doing it – over and over again, no matter how goofy we looked.  A baby’s laugh never gets old.
·         Hearing those first words.  Even when nobody else knows what they are saying, they are your baby’s first words and they are crisp and clear to your ears.
·         Any physical accomplishment for the first time…you practice and practice and practice, then one day it’s achieved!  Grasping a rattle, rolling over, sitting up, walking…
·         The first time your child says “please” or “thank you” all by themselves without having to be told.
·         Our newest accomplishments – Peeing on the potty and learning our ABC’s.  We’re going to be excited next week when Mason gets to taste solid food for the first time.
Like I said – this is just a teeny example of the things that excite us.  Every day there is something that one of our kids do that amaze us and make us look at each other with wide eyes and a big smile. 
Tonight was different, though.  As I was watching Makayla play, I was thinking to myself – please take your time.    It is fun to watch the kids grow and learn new things, but I don’t want them to grow up too quickly.  I want them to take their time growing up.  The days are long, but the years are quick – too quick.  Before I know it, they’ll be all grown up with families of their own.  I need to soak in the time I have with them now.  I need to cherish every second, every minute of them being children – my babies. Mason can take his time crawling and Makayla can take her time being fully potty-trained.  Eventually, Mason will wiggle and squirm to get out of my arms and Makayla will wear underwear.  In the meantime, I need to enjoy the spot where we are at.
So, Makayla and Mason – please take your time growing up.  We have forever.   

No comments:

Post a Comment